Overall Purpose of Position
The Simon Communities of Ireland are committed to empowering and working with people who are homeless by campaigning and providing the highest possible standards of care. Volunteers provide a core element of this service as they enhance and support paid staff in the work they do towards this goal.
- Develop working relationships with residents / befriending.
- Co-key work residents, i.e. work with a resident on a particular aspect of their life.
- Crisis intervention.
- Advocate, where appropriate, on behalf of residents.
- Provide physical care to older or infirm residents i.e. bathing, toileting, dressing etc...
- Housework, e.g. cooking and cleaning.
- Work as part of a team.
- Maintain administrative records.
- Maintaining a safe and hygienic working and living environment.
- Liaising with outside agencies.
- Accompanying residents on appointments.
- Reception and reporting duties.
- With residents, arranging leisure activities.
Volunteers may also be asked to do other general tasks associated with residential work, as appropriate.
Full Time Volunteers live in shared accommodation and are expected to respect their fellow volunteers and the accommodation.