Northwest Simon Links and Contact Details

If you need a place to stay tonight you must apply for emergency accommodation from the Housing Department of your Local Authority (County Council).

If you are eligible for support, the Council’s Housing Department will either refer you to the nearest appropriate emergency accommodation or make other arrangements to provide you with some place to stay while a solution to resolve your situation is being developed.

If you are not sure where you should go or if it’s not easy to get to the nearest Housing Department, make contact by telephone or email as soon as you can.

The best way to contact the council is to go directly to the nearest housing office and apply for support as soon as possible. Where you should go and the level of supports available depends on which county council area your present or most recent home is located. If you do not have a local connection to the North West region, you may not be eligible for any form of support.

We understand that people can be at risk of homelessness for many reasons including: low income, falling behind in rent or mortgage payments, debt, unemployment, relationship breakdown, physical or mental health problems, alcohol or drug misuse, sexual orientation to name but a few. Each person’s individual circumstance can require very different solutions.

If you fear that you are at risk of homelessness, and any of the issues below best describes your current situation please read our advice on the first steps you might take to find a solution. 
If your issue is not listed or if you need further support or advice, please get in touch with our team by completing our Self-Referral Form or phone our office closest to you in Sligo – 071 9147522 or Letterkenny – 074-9121613 and a member of our team will contact you to explore other possible solutions.


I am afraid that I may lose my home because I’m behind on my mortgage.

If you are behind with your mortgage, you may be worried about losing your home. Talk to your lender or if you can’t, talk to MABS. MABS have a dedicated, confidential, free and independent mortgage arrears service called Abhaile. They are a one stop shop for mortgage debt advice and referrals.

MABS Helpline 0761 07 2000 is available from Mon – Fri, 9am – 8pm. For a call back from the helpline email

I am afraid that I may lose my home because I’m having trouble with my rent.
If you are renting privately and are in dispute with your landlord, the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) may be able to assist you to find a solution. They can be contacted at (01) 6350600 or through their website
I have received an eviction notice.
If you have received a notice to quit, Threshold can provide professional advice and guidance in relation to your options.

The nearest Threshold Office is located at 5 Prospect Hill, Galway, Eircode H91 HC1H, Tel: 1800 454 454 Email:

Opening Hours Mon –Fri 9.30 to 5pm.

My rent is going to be (or has been) increased and I can no longer afford it.
If you have received notice of a rent increase which you are struggling to afford, Threshold can provide professional advice and guidance in relation to your options. Contact Threshold as shown above.

To request help for yourself or somebody else to keep a home please find more information here.